Dr. Tran Duc Thang is currently Director General of Department of Public Asset Management, Ministry of Finance. His responsibilities include assisting the Minister of Finance in state management of public assets and the purchase and requisition of assets; assisting in financial management of national land and resources; assisting in management of infrastructure assets, state-owned properties; directly managing some types of state property in accordance with regulations. He has 23 years of experience in the financial industry, including almost 8 years in the field of public asset management.
Dr. Tran Duc Thang is chairman of various ministerial-level research projects such as: Current situation and solution for public procurement in Vietnam (2014); Research on Land Prices (2015); Research on Land Finance Policy in Industrial Zones (2016) … During his time in the field of public asset management, he has directed the Department of Public Asset Management to develop several major projects in the field of public asset management, creating a relatively adequate legal corridor to meet the management requirements, contributing to strict management and effective exploitation of public property resources for socio-economic development, specifically the Law on Management and Use of Public Asset promulgated on 21/6/2017 (effective on 01/01/2018).
Challenges in management and the use of public asset in Vietnam
Public asset is vital in the development of any nations. With the established legal system on management and use of public asset, Vietnam has gained positive achievements. However, as the state-owned asset management mechanism is fragmented with various related laws, there is no general law to unify principles of the management, use and exploitation of public assets, the management and use of public assets is therefore still limited to some extent.
On June 21, 2017, the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam passed the Law on Management and Use of Public Asset (replacing the Law on Management and Use of State Property in 2008). This is the foundation for the Government to continue to perfect the policy system for effective management and use of public assets.
Some rising issues and challenges in the management and use of public assets and the policy development of public asset management:
(1) The dissemination of the Law on Management and Use of Public Assets to related agencies, organizations and units.
(2) The development and issuance of detailed legal documents for the implementation of the Law on Management and Use of Public Asset; The development of unified standard and limit on the use of public assets and the competence in management and use of public assets.
(3) Completion of the policy on land and resource finance
(4) The modernization of public asset management and the improvement of National Database of Public Assets towards comprehensive and sufficient.
(5) Strengthening the supervision, inspection and audit of the management and use of public assets, especially the supervision from the National Assembly, the National Assembly delegations, the Vietnam Fatherland Front, other organizations and press agencies towards the management and use of public assets to promptly detect any violations.